Thursday, March 14, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste


Oh coconut oil how I love Thee! If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have taken the plunge into making my own deodorant swearing it wouldn't work. Pardon but I never had such soft armpits in my life. No stink either. I swore I wouldn't try deodorant and it's proven me wrong. FYI Try this in the cool months first.

A year later I am giving in to temptation and trying toothpaste. I held back so long because of coconut oil. Glycerin & baking soda is already present in commercial products and so is peroxide.






Ingredients:
Coconut Oil
Baking Soda
Peroxide
Glycerin
Essential Oils***Not all oils are meant to be ingested. Please contact your supplier(s) for more information and safety.

Instructions:
Equal parts of Baking soda and Coconut oil. You want to soften the oil before starting. This will make blending easier.

For your first recipe you would want to add the essential oils last. They have a flash point and give off vapors when used in something warm/hot. Take precaution and do that step last. Once you know how many drops you want for flavor you will add it after warming the coconut. If you want more coconut oil you will not be able to reheat this mixture. You can heat CO in another dish and pour into this mixture.

I added 5 drops of peroxide and a few drops of glycerin to the heated coconut. Then I added this mix to the baking soda. Then add your essential oils. I used 2 drops of thieves oil and 40 drops of peppermint. I made a double batch not knowing how large it will really be. For 3 Tbsp of coconut oil and baking soda, you will need at least 25 drops of peppermint for a strong minty taste.

I used small amounts of glycerin and peroxide. There has been controversy over whether glycerin prevents Tooth Remineralization since it coats the teeth. It's a bit sweet and makes a nicer paste so I started with a few drops. Peroxide has left my gums sensitive in the past. You shouldn't ingest it but I have noticed whiter teeth when using it in commercial products.

Xylitol is another common ingredient used by others. I had started my research on what it is and pricing when I discovered it's toxic to dogs. I don't own dogs but cats. For the amount recipes site for it's price I will skip it for now. I have no other use for the products to warrant the cost.

Stevia is another common ingredient. I don't like the taste. There are warnings for those allergic to ragweed and other plants to avoid ingesting. I suffer from migraines and very wary of trying anything other than sugar.

Why did I take the plunge? I am cheap! I am a couponer. I was an extreme couponer. Rules have changed and offers are just not worth my time on certain products. Do I really want to spend $3 on a tub of toothpaste when I have the main ingredients in our home? I use to earn credit buying our toothpaste. Yes I am that cheap but that $3 adds up throughout the year for 4 people. No we aren't eating it.

Quite honestly I am happy with the results. I suffer from plaque build up. I have sensitive gums. I don't have cavities or gingivitis. I have been using this recipe for 5 days and I can't see the plaque on the front of my teeth. I drink 4 cups of coffee a day and the stains are getting lighter not darker. My gums no longer bleed when I floss. Did I mention it's been 5 days? As far as breath? My tongue is cleaner. I no longer taste the coffee I drank a few hours ago.

My "hippie" journey has been inspired by Crunchy Betty's website. (I really hate that new term) Above is the link to her toothpaste recipe.

Update August 16, 2013

I have been using homemade toothpaste for 5 months. I love it. I can not go back to commercial brands. I have tried changing the ratios and adding a thickener but the above recipe always wins.

I have spoken to a reputable dental assistant. I asked about the dangers of glycerin and baking soda to the enamel and about Tooth Remineralization. Peroxide is totally safe for your teeth and so is baking soda. They are the best ingredients you can use. As for Tooth Remineralization, sorry but any form of sugar is HORRIBLE. It defeats the purpose of brushing in the first place whether it's stevia or sugar cane.








This blog uses affiliate programs for monetization, which means when you click on links to various sites that I recommend in my posts and make a purchase, this can result in a commission that is credited to this site.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome thanks for sharing, I will have to try this out to save some money! :)

    ReplyDelete